Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The next big thing.

I was never one to follow fads until I started knitting. I never have made a clapotis, but that it probably the exception. ( I Have the yarn. I'm waiting for it to go out of style I think.) Seriously. I never wanted My Little Ponies, or Cabbage Patch Dolls. I wanted art supplies. When everyone else was making friendshi[p bracelets, I did cross stitch. bedazzle a sweatshirt, no thanks. I'll make a sweatshirt. I was a strange child. But, I absolutely cannot resist the call of a KAL. I have joined another one! I am now part of http://forestpathkal.blogspot.com/. The linky is in the side bar too. The Forest Path Stole KAL. I am such a sheep.

A little about the Forest Path Stole:
I fell in love with this pattern the minute I saw it. It is from the summer 2003 IK. I bought the magazine just for this pattern the one time I was at WEBS. Never mind that I didn't know how to do entrelac. Never mind that I had no idea when I would have time to knit such a glorius thing. Never mind that I had never knit a large lace garment at that point. i HAD to have it.
It takes 2625 yards of Laceweight yarn (!) and most of it is knit on size 3 (!) dpns. A mess of different Lace patterns! In entrelac!
Well, I have mastered lace. I understand entrelac. I have printed the errata. I am ready to knit this shawl.
The KAL starts on Feb. 1, so I have time to work on getting yarn and swatching before then. AWSOME!

In other knitting news, I have started on my sweater for DH. He is not a small man. He is very broad and long. (Get your mind out of the gutter!) I have consulted my Ann Budd Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. I decided to knit it in the round until the armholes. Easy ok.
Nope. I cast on the nearly 300 stitches, making sure to not twist. I decided to knit a hemmed edge, as DH looks good in that type of hem. Knit knit knit. hmm. something looks odd. CRAP!!! I twisted the cast on! (Insert swearing here) for those of you counting, I knit approx. 3,000 stitches before I realized it.
So I ripped. and ripped.

oh. and that was CO #2. Let's not even talk about #1.

So, CO #3. I decided to make it easier on myself. I am kntting the back hem up until the join of the folded up bit, then co the front hem, and do the same. Then I will join the two together, in effect, making a vent in the side seam about 1.5" long. A nice detail I think. (even if it was out of frustrated desperation.)

A picture of the new back hem. I just knit the turning row. Only miles of SS to go!

No comments: