Friday, November 30, 2007

SotS blocking

Thursday saw the completion of the SotS. I couldn't be happier with my effort, and cannot wait to submit it to the Gala coordinator.

The Secret of the Stole has been a lot of fun to knit, even if I didn't participate in the "clue guessing" aspect of things. I think it is a way fun way to do the mystery element involved in a shawl like this one. I just decided not to me a group player. I don't know why. Maybe since I am not keeping this piece? I am giving it to the Long Wharf Theatre Silent Auction at the annual Gala. I hope it sells!

Stats:
pattern: Secret of the Stole by Nautical Knitter
Yarn: Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb, in Charcoal
Needles: Knit Picks interchangeables, size 4
Notes: I chose the yarn color for this stole based purely on "saleability" at the Gala. I wanted something that would go with almost any formal gown color. Since the Gala is a formal event, and the people bidding on it would be so dressed, I wanted then to imagine the piece along with the dress they were wearing - or tux. (Don't want to assume anything) I didn't want to do black though, as the Gala is in June, and black feels more wintry, even though I wear it all year round. I think the steel color is fantastic, and the brighter silver beads are stunning in the body of the stole.

As far as the yarn goes - OMG. It's kind of expensive, but it is WONDERFUL. I t has great spring while you work with it, but it blocks like a dream, with hardly any "snap back" after you up pin it. I cannot tell you how nice it was to knit with. I only just broke into the second ball of yarn, so I will definitely make a scarf out of the rest. I cannot keep away from it. heaven.
The pattern is not a hard knit, as far a lace goes, it just takes some thinking as you work on it. Non-repeating patterns are fun, but you can't knit four repeats, memorize and go. You have to knit where you can read a chart, makes marks, set out beads... you get the idea. That said, it is not the kind of hard that requires a silent surrounding. a lot of the pattern was intuitive. You could tell the shape you were making, and could quickly see if you were off. I like that. It was a nice medium knit for me. and at 72", a good size for a stole. I couls have gotten a bit more length from it, but as you can see from my pictures, I ran out of table.

Now I just have to weave in ends! I like to do that after I block. I feel like it looks better, and I don't have to worry that I wove in too tight, and it will pull.

As soon as I'm up and around, I'll get some action shots!

6 comments:

Erin said...

That's gorgeous! I don't think you'll have to worry about people wanting to bid on it. It should be a hit at the gala.

Anonymous said...

Oh man this is such a cool post! The stole is so beautiful and your explanation of the pattern is wonderful. Please tell me you are going to post the amount it goes for, if you find out? I love it!!

KnelleyBelley said...

This store makes me want to dress up and go to a gala. I'd even wear high heels. It's beautiful!

KnelleyBelley said...

This STOLE. Stole. I meant to type stoLe. Time for deb. I mean bed.

anphoe said...

Gorgeous!! Even more gorgeous when I saw it in person. I have the pattern, and now I will plan to knit it, I will, because after seeing yours.

WifeMomKnitter said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!

And how cool is it when the pattern designer leaves a comment on your blog!!!! You are a god!

I too think you won't have to worry about people bidding on it. They would have to be crazy not to!