Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Davey's Ribby Sockies

My Brother, the middle one, is the coldest man on earth. My Paternal Grandpa used to hold the title, but after his passing, the crown went to Bro#1. Grandpa M wore long johns all year long, and multiple pairs starting in October. (and no, we didn't live in a particularly cold place either.) Bro#1 isn't quite as cold as Grandpa was, but he is a close second. It could have something to do with the fact that he is over six feet tall and weighs 130 lbs. Anyway, I decided he needed some warm socks to get him through the winter. He wears steel toe work boots for his job, and anyone who wears them knows how cold they are in the winter!

Name: Davie's Ribby Sockies
Pattern: Retro Rib Socks, from Interweave Knits
Yarn: Zitron Trekking XXL #71
Needles: Knitpicks classic circs in size 1
Notes: Bro#1 really doesn't like long socks. He wears those little short ones that slide down in your shoes most of the time. But, I expect, he will appreciate a slightly longer wool sock for the cold, February days outside, at work. I did make the socks two inches shorter than the pattern calls for, just so they weren't "long" socks. I also knit the "women's" size for the most part, as he is rail thin. No baggy socks!

I extended the heel flap to match the directions on the "men's" size. I was afraid the gusset would be too short for a guy, otherwise. I also knit the foot - forever -. Not really, but compaired to my little feet, it was a lifetime.

The pattern was really simple, once you get the set up going. The first few rounds are not completely mindless, but not hard either. All in all, a very good "boy socks". Not too patterned, not too boring for the knitter.

I like the trekking too. The subtle stripes give the socks just a little extra kick, with out me needing to do anything else. (I like that) Trekking also wears well, a bonus in boot socks for a 25yr old, I think.

With that, #17 bites the proverbial dust. Another Summer Knitting Goal complete!

No comments: