Monday, June 16, 2008

Grandpa Cherries

I have the lofty goal of posting more than once this week. Crazy, I know. Things have finally calmed down a little bit, so hopefully I can actually catch up on my personal life.
First up, a recap from my trip home.
Mostly, I spent a lot of time visiting with my family, and extended family, and a few friends. It was nice to see familiar faces, even if only for a few days. There was, of course, the obligatory eating of all the Central PA treats that I can't get in CT - that took up many days to complete. My Mom and I went shopping. (Wouldn't be a visit with my Mom with out shopping.) I also watched a lot of cable. Being a rabbit ear girl myself, cable is a big treat. Mom and I went to the pool one day - nothing has changed. All of her friends still sit in a line, in the same place, and still gossip about the same things. I found it funny, but in a good way.
The highlight of the trip, and the reason for going to PA for 4 days, was to see my little cousins, Cash and Zoe. Their Mom, Melanie, is my first cousin and moved to stupid Montana, so I hardly get to see them. when she told me the dates she was going to be in PA, I arranged my schedule to be home at the same time. We decided to go to HersheyPark!

Zoe and Cash were definitely "HersheyPark Happy". For a 2 and almost 4 year old, they did really well at the park. we expected to be leaving in a fit of tired tears by 4:00, but they were still going strong at 7:30. No cranky pants, no fighting. I have no idea how she did it, but my cousin raised two incredibly well behaved, cheery, and downright smart kids.
I haven't been to the park in a few years, and was amazed by the new water park section!

It had stuff for all ages, including a water roller coaster called the "Roller Soak er". My dad and I went on a crazy water slide called the Whirlwind. It was terrifying and awesome!
Melanie and I also rode two roller coasters while the babies were sleeping in the strollers. The newest one, Fahrenheit, goes straight up for 96 feet, then CURVES UNDER as it comes straight back down! We sat in the front seat. And screamed our brains loose, I might add. Then we went on the Storm Runner. Sweet Jesus tap dancing on a cracker. This thing launches you at, like, a billion miles an hour, instantaneously. It is a roller coaster lover's kind of ride.
We ended our day with more fun rides for the kids, and ice cream. All in all, a great day full of catching up and thrill seeking. Can't complain about that!
ON my last day before hitting the tracks back to CT, I visited with My Aunt Helen and Uncle Jake, Lillian (Like my 3rd Grandma), and Grandma M. Grandma M. had Aunt Sis and Aunt Bird over - so I had bonus visiting. It's strange to see people getting noticeably older. I guess you expect your relatives to stay looking the same for ever. It's kind of sad when they don't.
Speaking of "kind of sad", my Dad asked if I liked Cherries while I was home. I said that I did. He handed me a handful from off the tree. He said they were ripe, and that no one was picking them. You see, Grandpa M was the Cherry lover in the family. He planted the Cherry Trees, and now that he is gone, the cherries just serve as bird food. I told my Dad I'd pick them and take them to eat on the train.

For the last few days, I've been snacking on my Grandpa Cherries. It was a nice sweet reminder of how much I miss him, and how much he left for all of his family - both in the tangible and in spirit.
Unfortunately, the Grandpa Cherries did not help my newest knitting foul up.

In knitting news:
I have had a disaster with my Green Gable. It is too big. Tonight, I shall rip away. Oh well. At least I didn't wait to finish it before I tried it on. This might be some sort of curse. The sweater I made last June was too big. I never wore it - even once - because I hated the fit. Maybe I'll rip both, and be done with the June sweater Curse. And I finally finished the first Snug sock. Sheesh. These are harder than I originally intended them to be. Hopefully, sock number two will progress faster...

No comments: