Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Electric Necktie

I finished my third circular blanket, and the 8th lace project for the year today! Wee!



Name: Electric Necktie
Pattern: Swirl Leaf Doily from Craftown.com
Yarn: Farmhouse Silk Blend in Balsam Fir
Needles: Knit Picks Options in size 8
Notes: I knit this as written, on larger needles, and with larger yarn, with the exception of the edging. I couldn't make heads or tails of the directions. So, I did the crochet cast off from the Pate blanket.

I used less than two skeins of yarn, and got a 4ft blanket. I really like the swirl part of this one. The geometric quality is very appealing to me. The only change I'd make to this pattern would be to change the purls to knits. Only about 12 rows use purls, but I don't feel, at least at this scale and with this yarn, that the purls really add to the pattern. They don't detract, but I don't know that they are worth doing for no impact. It's even hard to tell where they are.

Can you see them? I can, but like I said, they don't do too much. Well, they do pull the little wedges between the swirls in a little bit. I'm not sure that is a desired effect, but it is an effect, none the less.
Overall, I really like this project. It will be a nice gift!

oh, and since you read this far, I'll explain the name. I'm nice that way. I googled "swirl leaf". a website for a band named "Electric necktie" came up. I laughed. The blanket got the name. See, not much thought this time.

I guess I can write a story too...

"DUUUUUDE."

"DUUUUUUUUUUDE!"

"I'm totally stoked about the concert on Thursday."

"Dude, me too. Are you, like sitting on the lawn, or in the seats?"

"Dude, the LAAWN. The seats are so lame. Besides, I'm one with nature when I'm on the grass."

"Totally. I'm bringing a blanket and everything."

"Awesome. I'll bring the electric necktie."

"Dude."


This story brought to you by the committee to make "electric necktie" another name for marijuana.

4 comments:

WifeMomKnitter said...

You are something else, you rockstar, you!

The Electric Necktie is gorgeous!

Batty said...

DUUUUDE!

That blanket is awesome. And your little story cracks me up because it reminds me of a guy I knew in college. Don't think I ever saw him entirely... sober.

KnelleyBelley said...

Dude. Electric Necktie, man. Rocks. Awesome. Dude.

Got any potato chips, man? Starvin'.

Erin said...

So pretty! I love crazy band and album names, and Electric Necktie has to be one of the funnier ones.