Monday, March 10, 2008

Ahh daylight savings, messing with your inner clock since 1907

For some reason, daylight savings doesn't really effect me on the "day of". It's just like getting up an hour early. It's the next day, and the next day is always, unfortunately, Monday. So I spend all day Monday yawning and wondering why I so stinking tired. It probably doesn't help that I went to the New Haven St. Patrick's Day Parade Yesterday either.

Speaking of the parade, it was FREEZING. OMG. We were outside from 11:30 am until 3pm. I wore my knee highs, and my cactus sweater, and a scarf, and the official ugly hat, and all the other appropriate garments, but I was still cold. I think I've just regained feeling in my toes. Tomorrow some pictures of the fun, but today, some pictures of a finished object!


Name: Rainbow Twisted Tweeds

Pattern: Twisted Tweed Socks, modified

Yarn: JL Yarn Vinca

Needles: Knit Picks Classic Circulars, size 0, 1, and 2

Notes: As per my usual MO, I modified the basic pattern a bunch. I did these toe up on 60 st. The toes and heels were in size 0, the foot and first four leg repeats were on size 1's. I switched to size 2's for the last 6 repeats on the legs.


This is a fun pattern to knit. The stitch is much more simple than it looks, and would look great in a lot of yarns. The only note I would make is that it is not as stretchy as other stitches. The slipped stitched make a really firm fabric, without much give at all. Just saying.


Also, if you notice, the socks are wildly different. The yarn is the same color way and dye lot, but the socks are totally different. This doesn't bother me at all, but some people I know would have a fit if they knit this. I don't think it was miss-label either, as the colors in the individual plies are the same in both socks, and on ball #2, the color was just about to change to the color on the cuff of sock 1. I'd hesitate to say that it definitely wasn't a mistake, as it kind of appears to be, but I still like the socks.


At the parade yesterday I was knitting these on and off as we waited for it to start. The "Marriage Equality" people came around with petitions to sign. I signed one, and the girl commented on my gay pride socks. I guess they are! That makes them even more special to me!

6 comments:

KnelleyBelley said...

Holy crap! I love those socks! How do you knit all this amazing goodness so quickly? And knitting while you were at the parade? How did you hold your beer?

costumechick said...

i didn't drink too much beer. it was too cold. The two I did drink sat on the ground by my chair in between sips.

anphoe said...

Pretty socks, the colors are awesome.

Can't wait to see the parade pictures!

WifeMomKnitter said...

Costumechick, you are the sock goddess!

They came out really pretty. I had the same thing happen to me with my Raggedy Ann & Andy's. Didn't bother me either.

Batty said...

They are so colorful, and I love that Twisted Tweed pattern. Where does it come from? It's amazing.

costumechick said...

gtrrkjgubghBatty, and the others who might wonder, the pattern is form "Schrodinger" over on Ravelry. If you enter twisted tweed socks in the search they should come up.