Friday, July 18, 2008

#7 Fuzzy Plums

These mittens are the shizknit! Seriously! So satisfying, and so cute. I hope the recipients like them as much as I like making them!

Name: Fuzzy Plums
Pattern: Fleece-Stuffed Mittens from "Favorite Mittens"
Yarn: Valley Yarns Berkshire in Eggplant, 1 skein
Needles: Vintage DPNs in 4 and 5
Notes: I decided to do the "diamonds" pattern in the thrumming, instead of the "lines", this time. I like the effect a lot! The lines were easier to thrum during the decreases - more intuitive, but the diamonds came out fine. My one little note about this fleece stuffing pattern: I have a "square and even" issue, meaning everything has to be lined up. In the diamond pattern it is really easy to start dropping thrums during the hand decreases to "keep things lined up". The next time I will keep more in play towards to finger tips, even if that means the pattern squishes a bit. More fleece in the finger tips= more warm.

Oh, and for some reason my thumbs are slightly different. I have no idea why. I just placed the starting thrum differently. I know I am the only one that will be bothered by this, so I'm totally not going to worry about it. I just thought I'd point out my folly.

Well, that completes #7 on the Summer Knitting Goals list! I am ready to head on Vacation! I am not taking more mittens with me. I don't think thrumming is good beach knitting. I am taking the shawl for the other Grandma ('cause, you know, Alpaca is the far superior choice for beach knitting) and a pair of socks. Maybe I'll have lacy tan lines on my legs!

3 comments:

KnelleyBelley said...

The recipient is going to LOVE them. Thanks for letting me try them on. So snuggy - and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So pretty.

I can't wait to try making some myself. Thanks again for the instructions!

Batty said...

They are so pretty, not to mention warm! Somebody is going to have toasty hands this winter.